Runner's Dilemma #10 — What Real Runners Look Like

 

Morning Running Log | Runner's Dilemma No. 10

What Real Runners Look Like

The longer you run, the more you notice something strange.

The best runners tend to look a certain way.

Calves that are thin, not thick.
Upper bodies that look underfed, not muscular.
Faces that are dark and weathered, not fresh and smooth.

Among runners, there's a word for this look.

"Broke-looking."

* In Korean running culture, 없어 보여 (literally "looks like you have nothing") is the highest compliment — it means you've burned off every ounce of excess and your body exists purely for running.

· · ·

Someone in our running club achieved this look within a year.

A few days ago, over dinner, I brought it up with my wife.

"When do you think I'll finally look broke like that?"

She looked at me for a moment. Then, with a smile:

"What do you mean, look broke."
"We already are."

· · ·

Ah...

Right.

We always were.

...

I wonder when
our luck is going to turn.

Popular Posts