Runner's Dilemma #7 — Uphill

 

 


Morning Running Log | Runner's Dilemma No. 7

Uphill

Before the group run.


"Once we reach Gyeongin University of Education, we'll do three uphill repeats to Sammaksa parking lot."

Six kilometers from Anyang-cheon to the university gate.

'The hill starts here... surely they'll rest for a second?'

...

'Oh... they're just going.'
'Come on. At least take a breath.'

· · ·

Rep 1

30 meters from the top.

'Should I stop where the incline ends?'
'No. The speed bump is the finish line.'
'But the hill is over...'
'No. Speed bump. That's the end.'

Speed bump. Done.

'What if I just do two?'


· · ·

Rep 2

200 meters from the top.

'Should I let myself fall back?'
'Why is my breathing this rough?'
'Of course the person next to me is having a full conversation...'
'I'm dying.'
'50 more meters. Then I'm telling them — I can't do a third.'

Top of the hill. Done.



'Can't do it. Can't.'
'I'll say something on the way down.'

Almost back at the start.

Now's the time to say it.

'Can't do it.'
'Can't.'
'Can—'

...

"Rep 3. Let's go."

· · ·

Rep 3

'How did I end up going again.'

Halfway.

'Just the second half.'

200 meters.

'Just 200 meters.'

50 meters.

'One step.'
'One more step.'

The breathing turns to something metallic.

Speed bump.

...

Those last 50 meters. What was that about.

That speed bump. What was that about.

Three times up and back. What was that about.

That sound in my throat. What was that about.

...

Why does it feel this good.
Honestly.

Popular Posts