제목 Runner's Dilemma #9 — When a Woman Runner Passes a Man

 

 


Morning Running Log | Runner's Dilemma No. 9

When a Woman Runner Passes a Man

On the way to work this morning, my wife brought up something that happened on her run yesterday.

· · ·

"Something kind of funny happened yesterday."
"It was hot so I was just jogging easy — around a 7-minute pace. I came up on a guy running ahead of me and passed him without thinking much of it."
"Then a little while later, he suddenly picks up the pace and goes past me again."
"I just kept running at my own pace. Naturally started warming up, so I got a little faster."
"Every time my footsteps got closer, his arms started swinging bigger. You could see it."
"I couldn't be bothered to keep track, so I just tucked in behind him and ran without thinking. But when I checked my watch later — I was at a 5:20 pace."
"He was already gasping — I could hear it from behind — but he was still grinding, refusing to fall back."
"Then he veered off the main path into a little flower trail on the side. Breathing like he might actually collapse."
"I just kept going at my own pace."
"Is it really such a big deal... being passed by a woman?"

· · ·

Sitting in the car listening to her, I couldn't help but laugh.

"Hey, he's going to hurt himself doing that. It was so hot out — I hope he made it home okay."

...

To be honest, I was the same way.

At my first marathon,

watching woman after woman glide past me —

ㅎㅎㅎ

That ego of mine.
I let it go that day.

Popular Posts