Runner's Dilemma #12 — Out of the Way!!

 

 Morning Running Log | Runner's Dilemma No. 12

Out of the Way!!

A few days ago, my wife and I were walking along Anyang-cheon.

A running club came toward us, two abreast.

I slipped behind my wife for a moment, then stepped back beside her once they passed.

She watched this and said:

"If the path is narrow, shouldn't runners go single file when people are walking?"

"Yeah, they should."

Then she brought up something that happened before.

"I was walking alone and out of nowhere, from behind —"
"OUT OF THE WAY!!"
"I was so startled I nearly tripped running onto the grass."
"Please tell your club — don't do that."

...

Honestly, at the time, I thought she was being a little sensitive.

· · ·

A few months later.

After a marathon. Knee aching. Walking slowly.

And then, from behind —

"OUT OF THE WAY!!"

I instinctively jumped onto the grass.

A whole running club swept past.

...

'Well... I guess that happens.'

But the more time passed...

the more it stayed with me.

Why so loud?

I wasn't on a bike lane.

Why was I the one who had to move?

What kind of running etiquette leads someone to shout
"OUT OF THE WAY!!" as the first move?

· · ·

Now I understand exactly

what my wife was talking about.

...

"Please..."
"Don't do that."

Popular Posts