Runner's Dilemma #13 — Running in the Heat

 


Morning Running Log | Runner's Dilemma No. 13

Running in the Heat

The moment I stepped outside —

The heat hits. Hard.
'Am I really running in this?'
'Is this a good idea...?'

But I missed yesterday. So — 15km today.

Normally I run 10km at around a 5:30 pace.
Today, with the heat and the distance — I'll keep it at 6:30. Safe and steady.

· · ·

By 2km, the body warms up.

6:30.

'Good. No need to push it.'

5km. 6km. Still holding 6:30.

· · ·

Past the halfway point.

I check my watch.

7:20.

'Wait...?'
'I feel like I'm running at 6:30...'

11km.

'How is a 7:20 pace this hard?'

· · ·

And then —

Coming toward me: a runner I occasionally see on this path. A NB ambassador. Someone who normally flies past at a 3-minute pace.


Today.

Slow.
Very slow.

'Oh...'
'Even they're slow today.'
'This is just what today is.'

'I'm doing fine.'
'Actually, I'm doing great.'

· · ·

But the body? Still absolutely struggling.

'Okay. Just get to 12km, then I'll walk for a bit.'

12km.

'Fine. 13km. One more and then I'll actually walk.'

13km.

'Only 2km left... maybe just hold on till 14?'

14km.

'Last kilometer. Just keep moving. Whatever it takes.'

· · ·

15km. Done.

'Never again. Not in heat like this.'

Popular Posts