A Thought About Love #8 — Have You Ever Felt Love For Them?

 


Out of nowhere, yesterday,
my wife asked me something.

"Have you ever actually felt love
for our kids?"

I thought about it.

When they were born.
When they took their first steps.
Watching them speak in front of their class.
Watching them swim with a pool tube on some trip.

"Huh... I don't think
I ever really thought about it that way."

Like counting ten fingers, ten toes
right after they were born —
I think all I ever felt was, "thank god."

· · ·

Now my older one is in college,
and my younger one, a junior in high school.

My wife adds,

"But lately, watching you,
I can tell you love them."

"Yeah. Even if they're a mess at home,
they're polite to everyone else —
and I'm grateful for that."

Feeling grateful
that two ordinary kids
just keep growing up fine —

maybe that's love.

Popular Posts