Do You Really Need Intervals to Break Sub-4?
When you first start running, the thought of a full marathon feels impossible.
But once you've done a half, a 32km race, maybe a few trail events — suddenly Sub-4 starts to feel like the obvious next goal.
You don't say it out loud. But in your head, breaking 4 hours is the target.
So you toe the line. The first 20km feel manageable. Then 25km. Still okay.
Then 30km hits — and everything falls apart. You're forcing your legs to move, but your body has stopped listening.
That's when you finally understand what experienced runners mean when they say: "The marathon doesn't really start until 30km."
Sub-4 is a goal thousands of runners chase. But far fewer actually reach it.
I was one of them.

I. Where I Started
This April, I finished a full marathon in 4 hours 24 minutes. In May, I completed a 100km ultramarathon with 1,700m of elevation gain in 15 hours 40 minutes.
Both times, I finished without injury.
But there's more to the story.
Two years ago, I got my first serious running injury at a marathon. Instead of resting properly, I kept pushing — running through pain, re-injuring myself over and over. That cycle went on for 18 months. My fitness didn't just stall; it went backwards.
When I finally lined up for a marathon again this April, my only goal was to finish without getting hurt. I set a conservative pace of 6:10/km. Every time I naturally sped up, I pulled myself back.
It worked. And the morning after the race, I went for a run.
That's when something shifted. For the first time in years, I actually wanted to push my training.
Before those races, I was running about 50km per week — cautiously, because I was scared of getting hurt again. But after finishing both events healthy, six weeks ago I started running twice a day. My weekly mileage went from 50km to 90km.
And a question started nagging at me.
What do runners who actually break Sub-4 do in training?
My current training data
- ~90km per week for the past 6 weeks, mostly Easy Runs
- Pace up to 10km: 5:40–5:50/km at ~130bpm HR
- After 10km: same pace, but HR climbs to 145–150bpm
(This is called cardiac drift — pace stays the same but heart rate rises)
Sub-4 requires maintaining 5:41/km for the full 42km.
Up to 10km, I'm already running that pace — at a comfortable 130bpm.
But beyond 10km, my heart rate climbs. And by 30km, holding 5:40/km becomes a real struggle.
So what kind of training do I actually need? I went looking for data.
II. How Much Do Sub-4 Runners Actually Run?
I started with training volume data.
A 2019 meta-analysis published in the Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport analyzed 85 studies, 137 cohorts, and 8,945 marathon runners. Here's what the weekly mileage data looked like by finish time:
Weekly Mileage by Target Finish Time
| Target Time | Average Weekly km | Peak Weekly km |
|---|---|---|
| Sub 4:30 | 50–60km | 70km |
| Sub 4:00 | 44–60km | 90km |
| Sub 3:30 | 80–100km | 110km |
The numbers are lower than most people expect.
I'm currently running around 90km per week — which technically puts me in Sub-4 territory by volume alone. But that mileage isn't a prescription. It's a personal experiment within the range my body can handle without breaking down.
So if mileage is just one piece of the puzzle — what else are Sub-4 runners doing?
III. The Surprising Truth — Faster Runners Do More Easy Running
I assumed faster runners trained harder. More intervals. More tempo runs. Higher intensity.
The data said otherwise.
A large-scale analysis published in late 2024 examined training data from 119,452 runners across 151,813 marathons using Strava records.
Training Intensity Distribution by Performance Level
| Training Type | Faster Runners | Recreational Runners |
|---|---|---|
| Easy Run (Zone 1) | 75–85% | 50–60% |
| Moderate (Zone 2) | 10–15% | 30–40% |
| Hard (Zone 3+) | 5–10% | 10–20% |
The most striking finding from this analysis:
The amount of Zone 2 and Zone 3 training was similar across performance groups. What separated faster runners from slower ones was just one thing.
IV. Can Easy Running Alone Get You to Sub-4?
The short answer: it's possible — but the higher your current fitness, the less likely Easy Running alone will be enough.
Easy running produces real physiological changes:
- Increased capillary density
- More mitochondria in muscle cells
- Improved cardiac efficiency
- Better fat oxidation at pace
The result: you can hold a given pace longer, with less effort.
Research shows that increasing weekly mileage from 48km to 80km can reduce finishing time by up to 32 minutes.
Given my current PB of 4:24, there's a real case that mileage-focused Easy Running could deliver meaningful improvement.
That said, whether it gets me all the way to Sub-4 is something only the race will answer.
[IMAGE 3]V. Something Odd in My Data
When I looked at my own numbers, something stood out.
| Distance | Pace | Heart Rate |
|---|---|---|
| 0–10km | 5:40/km | 130bpm |
| After 10km | 5:40/km | 145–150bpm |
The pace doesn't change. But my heart rate climbs.
This is called cardiac drift — and it points to a concept that's been getting increasing attention in marathon research: Durability.
It's how well you maintain that ability after 30km.
A 2025 study found that runners with the lowest cardiac drift sustained faster paces and posted better finish times — even when controlling for VO2max and lactate threshold.
How do you improve Durability? Current research points to two things: increasing weekly mileage and accumulating more low-intensity training volume.
I used to think Sub-4 was a speed problem. The more I looked at the data, the less that held up.
My issue isn't that I can't run 5:41/km. It's that I can't sustain it for 42km.
VI. So Do Intervals Even Matter?
Yes — but probably not in the way most people think.
Data from 917 Boston Marathon runners showed that adding just one quality session per week was associated with an average finish time improvement of 16.2 minutes. That's not a number you can ignore.
But here's what the data also shows. An analysis of 92 sub-elite marathon training plans found this breakdown in the 8 weeks before race day:
Moderate (Zone 2) → 14–18%
Hard (Zone 3+) → 5–10%
Intervals are in there. But they're only 5–10% of total training.
VII. My Experiment — The October Sub-4 Project
So here's what I'm testing over the next four months.
The plan: build Durability through Easy Running first. Add tempo runs when the base is solid enough. Intervals only if needed.
A quick note on tempo runs: these are efforts that feel uncomfortable but sustainable — you can't hold a conversation, but you can push out a few words. For a Sub-4 runner, that's roughly 155–165bpm. If Easy Running builds the engine, tempo runs improve how efficiently it runs.
The full training plan is below.

Mid-October.
That's when I'll find out whether this experiment holds up.
Conclusion
Do you need intervals to break Sub-4?
Based on everything I've found, the answer seems to be:
To be clear: I'm not arguing intervals are useless. They're not. I'll add them when the time is right.
But right now, what I'm missing isn't speed. It's the ability to sustain my current pace across the full distance. And the data suggests the best way to build that is through more Easy Running and higher mileage — not more intervals.
Sub-4 wasn't built on fancy interval programs.
It was built on consistent mileage. Easy runs done right. And the ability to keep going when things get hard.
Maybe Sub-4 isn't a speed problem at all. Maybe it's a durability problem.
At least, that's what I'm betting on.
October. I'll have my answer.
· Muniz-Pumares et al. (2024). The Training Intensity Distribution of Marathon Runners Across Performance Levels. Sports Medicine. (119,452 runners, 151,813 marathons)
· Smyth et al. (2022). Decoupling of internal and external workload during a marathon: an analysis of durability in 82,303 recreational runners. Sports Medicine.
· Takayama & Aoyagi (2025). Do heart rates of elite marathon runners exhibit room for drift? Implications for durability. Frontiers in Sports and Active Living.
· Research Square (2023). Quantitative Analysis of 92 Sub-Elite Marathon Training Plans.




