Runner's Dilemma #25 — One Month Out — How Much Can Intervals Actually Help?
Runner's Log | Runner's Dilemma #25
One Month Out — How Much Can Intervals Actually Help?
My full marathon is less than a month away.
Trying to keep the sub-4 promise I made to my second kid, I've cut out late-night snacks (since losing weight is supposed to make me faster), started climbing stairs for the first time in my life, and been doing grueling long runs every weekend.
Today's the day my running club does intervals at our regular meetup. And a question crossed my mind.
Is there really any effect within just one month?
So I asked AI.
Does One Month of Intervals Really Do Anything?
I know intervals improve running ability.
Here's what AI found.
A study on well-trained runners who did 4 weeks of interval training:
· VO₂max itself didn't change much.
· But their lactate threshold (the intensity level where breathing suddenly gets hard and legs start feeling heavy) went up, meaning they could sustain a faster pace before hitting that wall.
· And their 5K times improved.
· Another 4-week study found improvements in running economy (how much energy your body uses at a given pace — basically fuel efficiency) and top running speed.
But not every study showed improvement.
In another 4-week high-intensity interval study:
· Running economy and top speed improved, but VO₂max and 5K times didn't show significant change.
· Yet another study found 3,000m times improved, but 5,000m times showed no significant change.
Putting the research together:
The changes don't seem to show up the same way for everyone, in every ability.
So What About Someone Training for a Marathon?
Most of this research looked at short-distance times or specific running abilities. Let's apply these findings to someone running 42.195km.
In a marathon, what matters more than raw speed is how long you can sustain that speed.
So what role do intervals play here?
One thing you can gain from intervals is running economy.
That's how efficiently your body moves at a given pace.
In other words, using less energy to hold the same speed. If that's true, maybe I'd have a bit more in the tank at that dreaded 32km mark where runners tend to fall apart.
Of course, no study directly proves that 4 weeks of intervals definitely reduces late-race fatigue in a marathon. But for someone like me — losing weight, doing long runs, trying to get to sub-4 — I think this running economy angle will genuinely help.
So here's how I've come to see the meaning of intervals, one month before the race:
using the engine I already have, a little more efficiently.
So Would Doing More Make It Even Better?
No, that's not it either.
A meta-analysis on tapering in endurance athletes — marathon, cycling, swimming, sports that go on for a long time — found that reducing training volume by roughly 41-60% over a taper period of up to 21 days before competition, while keeping intensity and frequency, was the most effective strategy for performance.
So it's not "only a month left, so let's push harder and do more now."
Give the necessary stimulus, but don't carry fatigue all the way to race day. That's what matters.
Based on All This, Here's What I'm Going to Try
My goal for this full marathon is sub-4. To hit sub-4, I need to average 5 minutes 41 seconds per km.
But in an actual race, all kinds of things happen — bathroom breaks, fueling stops, getting stuck behind a crowd. So factoring all that in, I'm planning to run at 5:30/km. The real question is whether I can hold that pace for the full 42.195km.
Actually, three days ago, during a 35km long run, I pushed the 20-29km stretch up to 5:20-5:30/km — and after that, my heart rate climbed and things got hard, fast.
Turns out this phenomenon has a name: cardiac drift. Over long durations of exercise, factors like rising core temperature and fluid loss can cause your heart rate to gradually climb even at the same pace.
Marathon research has found that this shift in the heart rate-to-pace relationship is associated with the ability to hold pace in the later stages of a race.
So for my remaining month, I'm going to focus my intervals on improving running economy — making my body work more efficiently.
Apparently, this is the kind of interval structure used in marathon training a month out. I'm planning to follow something like this too.
| Timing | Structure | Purpose |
|---|---|---|
| 3-4 weeks out | Hold a pace slightly faster than goal pace, broken into several reps | Adapt to that pace |
| 2 weeks out | Fewer reps or shorter distance, but keep the pace | Maintain stimulus, manage fatigue |
| 1 week out | Very short, just to keep the feel | Prioritize recovery |
And There's One More Interesting Study
Recently, high-intensity interval training has been studied not just for running performance, but for its effects on cognitive function and brain health.
A meta-analysis on high-intensity interval training found positive changes in information processing, executive function, and memory.
Though results vary study to study, and it's not solid enough evidence to say "intervals make your brain better."
it feels like I'm getting a little bonus I didn't ask for.
To Sum Up
There's a real chance something will change in a month.
But this isn't training to build a whole new body in that time.
If I've already been doing long runs, running consistently, and doing intervals — then this remaining month is about using what I've already built, a little more efficiently. That's how I want to think about it.
And on race day:
hard, but
"still, I can keep going."
That's the kind of margin I want to hold onto,
staying under 5:41/km all the way to the end.
References: Study on 4-week interval training and changes in lactate threshold / 5K times (well-trained runners) · Study on 4-week high-intensity interval training and running economy / top speed · Study comparing 4-week interval training effects on 3,000m vs. 5,000m times · Coyle & González-Alonso (2001). Cardiovascular drift during prolonged exercise: new perspectives. Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews, 29(2), 88-92 · Research on cardiac drift minimization as a predictor of marathon performance, Frontiers in Sports and Active Living · Meta-analysis on tapering (up to 21 days, 41-60% volume reduction) in endurance athletes (marathon, cycling, swimming) · Meta-analysis on high-intensity interval training and cognitive function (information processing, executive function, memory).
The interpretations here reference these findings from a runner's perspective and are not a substitute for medical advice.

