Runner's Dilemma #30 — How Many Energy Gels for a Full Marathon?

 

Runner's Log | Runner's Dilemma #30

How Many Energy Gels for a Full Marathon?

In three days, I'm going for a sub-4 full marathon.

If I were far faster than that, I probably wouldn't be worrying about any of this.

But since I honestly don't know whether sub-4 is possible, I end up worrying about everything.

How many energy gels should I carry? When should I take them?
When should I use CrampFix, the shot that's supposed to help when a cramp hits?
Should I drink water at every aid station?
What should I eat starting three days before the race, and what should dinner the night before be?
And what about breakfast on race morning?

So many questions.

So I looked into them one by one.


A Marathon Is Fuel Tank Management


Your body has a fuel tank that stores carbohydrates. It's called glycogen.

But the tank has a fixed size, so over a full marathon you start to see the bottom.

That leaves three jobs.

1. Fill the tank to the top before the start (I, II)
2. Keep topping it up as you run (III)
3. Run so the tank doesn't empty too fast (pacing)

I. Three Days Out: What Should I Eat?

This isn't the time to build anything more through training. It's the time to fill up through food.

The method is simple. For the two days before the race, raise the share of carbohydrates like rice, bread, and pasta.

Studies describe starting to eat plenty of carbohydrates 36 to 48 hours before the race.
So rather than cramming it all into one dinner the night before, it's better to fill up well before that. Carbohydrate storage isn't something that finishes in a single evening meal.

So here's how my remaining three days go.

DayWhat to do
Thu (D-3)Eat as usual. Just avoid very greasy or unfamiliar food
Fri, Sat (D-2, D-1)More easy-to-digest carbs than usual (rice, noodles, potatoes, bread)
SunEat breakfast and start

That said, there's no need to suddenly change everything you normally eat. What matters more is this:

"Don't eat anything for the first time right before a race."

Food I eat often and that has always sat well in my stomach. That's the safest choice.

Two Days Out: Things to Be a Little Careful With

Be a little careful withExamplesWhy
High-fiber foodMultigrain rice, beans, broccoli, raw vegetables, saladCan cause bloating or an upset gut
Greasy foodFried food, pork belly, cream sauceCan feel heavy
Unfamiliar foodA restaurant you've never tried, a new supplementTrouble if your stomach reacts
AlcoholBeer, sojuBetter to skip before a race

Fiber, greasy food, and unfamiliar food are things carb-loading guides commonly agree on.

As for alcohol, I'll skip it this weekend.

If your stomach is sensitive, there's also talk of resting spicy food, dairy, and carbonated drinks for these two days, but that varies by person.

If you've eaten something regularly without trouble, there's no need to cut it out.

One more thing. Eating this way can make your weight go up a little.

That's because carbohydrates are stored along with water.
There's no need to worry if your weight is slightly up before the race.


II. The Night Before and Race-Morning Breakfast

The Night Before

There's apparently no single "best last meal."

I'll make the night before not the day I eat the most, but the day I eat the most familiar things.
The usual rice or pasta, with easy-to-digest side dishes, and just a little more than normal.

Race-Morning Breakfast

Eat too much breakfast and your stomach may bother you while running. Eat nothing and you may run short of energy early on.

So I eat 2 to 3 hours before the start.
Something I've eaten before that digests easily, like rice or porridge, bread with jam, or a banana.

But I don't normally eat breakfast. For me, eating breakfast on race morning is itself something I've never done.

So on the day I'll keep it light: plain rice wrapped in seaweed, no fillings.

And I plan to try it once before an easy jog this week, to check that my stomach is fine with it.


Caffeine

There's plenty of research showing caffeine can help exercise performance.

And caffeine isn't only in coffee. It's also in energy drinks, cola, green tea, caffeine gum and capsules, and in gels that contain caffeine.

I plan to have my usual cup of coffee.

Trying it for the first time on race day, if you don't normally drink it, is risky.

And one thing matters here too.

Nothing new on race day.

That goes for supplements you don't normally take, or anything you suddenly decide to try because you heard it's good.


III. So, How Many Gels?

Now for the part I've been most curious about.

Energy Gels: 7, Plus 1 Spare

The tank keeps draining while you run. So you top it up along the way.

But gels aren't the only source. The sports drink at the aid stations contains carbohydrates too.

So you can't just count gels. You have to think about gels and sports drink together.

Studies talk in terms of "grams of carbohydrate per hour."

In my case, taking the gels and the sports drink together into account, I plan to take one gel about every 30 minutes.

One gel usually contains around 20 to 30g of carbohydrate.

More isn't automatically better, and taking a lot suddenly can upset your gut.

Here's how I think about timing.

Not after I get hungry, but while I still feel fine, a little at a time. I start about 45 minutes in and take one at regular intervals.

This plan is calculated for a sub-4 at 5:41/km pace.

GelWhereElapsed time
18km45 min
213km1h 10m
317km1h 37m
421km (halfway)2h
526km2h 28m
630km2h 53m
735km3h 19m
I put gels at 30km and 35km because of how my own body behaves.
In both of my long runs, my legs turned heavy after 30km.


Gels are easier on the stomach when taken with water.

Some products are made to be taken without water, though, so check what kind of gel you're using.

Water at Every Aid Station?

Until now, I thought I had to at least take a sip of water at every aid station.

But apparently that's not necessarily true. If it's hot or you're sweating a lot, you may need more, but drinking a lot at every stop isn't good either. Drinking too much can actually put your body at risk, and you need to be especially careful over long distances.

So here's my approach.

  • If I'm thirsty, I drink.
  • If it's hot or I'm sweating a lot, I pay a bit more attention.
  • If I'm not thirsty, I don't force myself to drink a lot.

I sweat a lot. The white salt marks left on my running vest suggest I lose quite a bit of sodium in my sweat.

Sports drinks replace some of that salt. But their sodium concentration is fairly low (it varies by product, so check the label), and if I only drink half a cup at each aid station, the amount isn't much.

So I'll use sports drink as the base. I'll only add electrolyte tablets if I've used a product before, and I won't try anything new three days before the race.

Gels by plan, water by situation.

CrampFix: An Emergency Option for When a Cramp Is Coming

From what I found, muscle cramps aren't caused simply by a lack of water or salt.

In a study that followed Ironman triathletes, what predicted cramps wasn't dehydration or sodium, but running faster than usual and having had cramps before. Getting swept up in the race atmosphere and pushing the pace early could be the biggest cramp risk of all.

Anti-cramp shots are described as working not by supplying water or salt to the muscle, but by strongly stimulating sensation in the mouth and throat to reduce cramping. But the evidence wasn't strong.

I found two studies. In one, the time before a cramp set in got longer; in the other, the effect was small and short-lived. I also can't confirm that the product I have is the same one used in those studies.

So rather than taking it from the start, I think it's more realistic for me to carry it as an emergency option for when a cramp seems to be coming.

Especially late in the race. After 30km, when my legs get heavy and I get that "uh-oh, I'm about to cramp" feeling, I'm thinking of taking one then.

Of course, this shouldn't be tried for the first time on race day either. It can be spicy or harsh enough to upset your stomach.


The Whole Plan on One Page

WhenWhat to do
Fri, SatMore easy-to-digest carbs than usual. No alcohol, nothing new
Night beforeFamiliar food, a solid meal, but no overeating
2-3 hours beforeA light breakfast like seaweed-wrapped rice (try it once beforehand)
Before the startMy usual amount of coffee
From 8kmOne gel every 30 minutes (7 total + 1 spare)
Aid stationsWater or sports drink when thirsty. Don't force it
Cramp warningCrampFix
The whole wayDon't do anything new on race day

I did the 35km long runs. I ran 20km at race pace. I finished my last training run.

There isn't much more I can do now.

Eat well, sleep well, keep my body relaxed, and run on race day the way I prepared.

I don't know whether I'll break 4.
But having come this far, I have to give it a try.

A promise to my son is turning out to be a scary thing.
"Dad, you do nothing but run. Shouldn't you at least break 4?"

"Well, with the injuries... Fine. I'll break 4 this fall."

References: Carb-loading guides · Secondary sources citing ACSM nutrition and athletic performance guidance · International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand on caffeine (2021) · Craighead et al., Muscle & Nerve (2017) · Behringer et al., European Journal of Applied Physiology (2017) · Study of predictors of cramping in 210 Ironman triathletes (2011).

This post is general guidance and is not a substitute for a nutrition or hydration plan tailored to an individual.

Popular Posts